Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What's your duck?

A dear friend sent me this last week, and I've been wanting to post it. So, here it is. :) Be blessed, my dear friend, and consider what your duck might be!




Here’s a great story by Richard Hoeffer:

A little boy visiting his grandparents was given his first slingshot.
He practiced in the woods, but he could never hit his target. He went back to
Grandma’s back yard, where he spied her pet duck. On an impulse he took aim and let
fly. The stone hit. The duck fell dead. The boy panicked. Desperately he hid the dead
duck in the woodpile, only to look up and see his sister watching. Sally had seen it all,
but she said nothing.

After lunch that day, Grandma said, “Sally, let’s wash the dishes.” But Sally said,
“Johnny told me he wanted to help in the kitchen today. Didn’t you, Johnny?”

And she whispered to him, “Remember the duck!”

So Johnny did the dishes.

Later Grandpa asked if anyone wanted to go fishing. Grandma said, “I’m sorry, but I
need Sally to help make supper.” Sally smiled and said, “That’s all taken care of. Johnny
wants to do it.”

Again she whispered, “Remember the duck!”

Johnny stayed while Sally went fishing.

Several days went like this: Johnny was doing both his chores and Sally’s. Finally he
couldn’t stand it. He confessed to Grandma that he had killed the duck.
“I know, Johnny,” Grandma said, giving him a hug. “I was standing at the window and
saw the whole thing. Because I love you, I forgave you. I wondered how long you
would let Sally hold it over you.”

The question is: What’s your duck?

1 comment:

Becky said...

So often I have to be reminded to leave the ducks behind. They arent great car riders and leave a terrible mess in the house. Thanks for sharing this with all!