Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What a walk we're on!


Hello, dear ones! I'm so glad you came to be with us today. :) It's a glorious day here in middle Tennessee; it's rapidly warming up, and the plants are growing at an almost-visible pace! It's amazing!

Today, I'd like to follow Moses on an interesting journey. I hadn't seen it before, but God opened my eyes in an unrelated Bible study a week or so ago, and I wanted to share what He showed me!

The first place I want us to look at is Exodus 3:6:
Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.

Do you see what I see? So far, what we know about Moses is that he was the baby in the basket on the Nile who Pharaoh's daughter adopted. He was raised as a prince of Egypt, given the best of everything - including education.

At the age of 40, he was fleeing for his life because he murdered an Egyptian overseer, thinking he was doing a good thing for his people.

Now, at the age of 80, we find him leading his sheep across the desert. Talking to a bush.

:D

Anyway, back to the verse! Moses HID his face. He was afraid to look at God, even though God was in the form of an unconsumed, burning bush. He's not afraid to tell God no, however! God tells hime what he's going to do, and Moses says, "But, God...!"

For a whole chapter, God gives Moses signs and wonders, and Moses gives God excuses. (Hmmmm. Sounds familiar in my own life.) Finally, a whole chapter later, it says, "Then the Lord's anger burned against Moses..." (Ex. 4:14) Does anyone else see the humor in this? Or is it just me? The burning bush is now burning with anger! Oh, Moses.

But God leads Moses through a LOT in Egypt, growing his faith and his obedience. Know how I know? Because of our next Scripture!

Exodus 33:18:
Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory."

This SO excites me! In less than 30 chapters - but a WHOLE lot of walking out what God tells him to do! - Moses goes from being afraid to see God, to ASKING to see God.

What a journey! What a change of heart! What do YOU think had changed? I think that Moses had gone from not wanting to draw attention from the Most High to knowing that He loved him, little Moses, who had screwed up own his life. That Moses had learned that God was going to see him through this journey. That God kept His promises. That Moses had decided that he was sticking with God, earnestly seeking His presence.

Can you IMAGINE seeing God's glory?? Not just the EVIDENCE of it, but the glory itself?

But there's one more Scripture to look at, one more step in this journey. It makes me weep.

Numbers 12:6-8:
...he said, "Listen to my words:
"When a prophet of the LORD is among you,
I reveal myself to him in visions,
I speak to him in dreams.

7 But this is not true of my servant Moses;
he is faithful in all my house.

8 With him I speak face to face,
clearly and not in riddles;
he sees the form of the LORD.
Why then were you not afraid
to speak against my servant Moses?"

Oh, dear one! This is GOD speaking about Moses! The Creator, the Most High, El Elyon - says He speaks face to face with Moses.

Does this give you hope for your own walk? Where do you fall on this "spectrum" today? Are you hiding from God? Are you asking God to reveal Himself? Or are you seeking to be intimate with Him, speaking face to face?

Moses made a lot of mistakes in his life. He wasn't perfect, by a long shot. But God loved him, walked with him, and talked to him. Face to face.

I stand in awe, and thank God for showing me Moses. Because He showed me that, no matter where I fall on that spectrum of my walk with Him, I'm walking. And some day, I will see Him face to face.

Be encouraged, dear one. God LOVES you. No matter where you are, He'll meet you. He met Moses. He called to Moses. He's calling to you.

Even if you hide your face, LISTEN.

No comments: