Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Just a little on goal-setting!


Hi, ladies! I want you to know that I read each and every email you send, every comment, and I take your concerns seriously.

Some of you are serious about being accountable with at least me concerning your goals for this year. I applaud you and your efforts!!! Thank you so much for asking me already if I've been doing what I've set out to so far. :) It will be MY turn to do so shortly.... ;D

One thing I want to cover with you is goal-setting. I used to get paid to teach this kind of stuff, so I hope you'll take what you can from what I have to share. :)

Remember when I said I didn't like "resolutions"? Well, one reason is because a resolution usually doesn't have a PLAN attached. Most people say, "This year, I'm going to lose weight" - but that resolution falls by the wayside quickly, because there's no ultimate goal, and no plan to get there! Try this instead: "By December 31, I will have lost 50 pounds. This means I need to lose and average of 4.25 pounds a month, and I'm going to do it by ________________ (Weight Watchers, excercise, etc.)."

Do you see what I'm saying? You have something to shoot for with the second statement. It's measurable AND attainable! By breaking it down into the second sentence, you've got a plan to go with your goal - and you can also break it down further! That's an average of less than a pound a week! Whatever will motivate you the most is what you need to keep in your mind. :)

The reason we NEED to set goals? Usually because we have to change a mindset we've had for a while, or because the goal means adding/subtracting a behavior/activity we really don't WANT to do, but realize it needs to be done. That's usually the Spirit prompting you, ladies! :)

I'm praying Psalm 20:4-5 for you:
May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.
We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the LORD grant all your requests.

If I can help, please let me know. :) That's what I'm here for! (The cactus flower is in bloom on the sun porch right now. :) I just wanted to share!)

4 comments:

nancy said...

Gotcha, sweetie. This is great. Wait til you see what I posted. I can't help it. I'm just excited about this. Feel like God is showing us more and more how to use the internet for His glory.
Nancy

Diane Shiffer said...

I visited here from MammyT, and I will certainly be back. I am looking forward to making some changes this next year, so....like I said, I'll be back;-)
Diane

Anonymous said...

I just did my backwards goals today! Backwards goals are just this: stating your goals as if it had already occurred - I lost 50lbs this year - I read the entire Bible - and so on....then attach a plan of action as to how you will and we will see how this tricks our mind :)

Anonymous said...

Hey how do you attach a picture? I have one :)